Holiday Dress part 1

My boyfriend, Ryan, was the one who came up with the idea of making a holiday dress similar to ones that we see many of our favorite anime/video game characters drawn in.  So I took to my sketch book and started sketching some ideas based on several different versions of fan art dresses.  I came up with two versions: one with a flouncy skirt and off the shoulder sleeves and one that was tighter to the body with little cap sleeves.  This is the sketch of the “poofy” dress:


I originally wanted to use smooth stretch velvet (none of that crushed velveteen stuff), but the stretch velvet at Jo-Ann’s was scratchy.  Then I found this stretchy suede and I fell in love with it.  I also searched for a long time for the fluffy trim you see on the dresses and found the softest Sherpa I could feel.

I started with the skirt since it was going to be a simple circle skirt.  Then I cut out strips of Sherpa 3 inches wide and sewed them together into one massive strip.  This was then sewed onto the hem of the skirt.  This is what it looked like:


I was really pleased with how it turned out.  It looks so cute!  Next I moved onto making the bodice.  I drafted a two piece pattern real quick and did an even faster mock up with some left over knit fabric.  I then cut and sewed the suede pieces together and got something that looked like this.


I called it a night after finishing that.  The next post with go through making the sleeves, attaching them to the bodice and then trimming the top with Sherpa. So far I’m really happy with how it’s coming along!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s